Thursday 21 August 2008

I'm glad to be a part of this community

I'm John.  My AOL blog is too stubborn to die.
 
I have been writing a JLand blog for less than a year now, about which I have received many thoughtful and concerned comments.  I knew two years earlier, however, that JLand was a caring community where people would take the time and go to the effort to support and encourage others who they had never actually met.  Even before I had gotten my bone marrow transplant, I was receiving a great deal of traditional mail from JLanders literally around the world wishing me well and offering thoughts and prayers that my transplant would go well.  My wife, Krissy, often told me about the outpouring of concern for both of us in the comment section of her blog, and would read aloud comments left there for me by JLanders. 
 
After my transplant, while I was an inpatient at Hershey Medical Center, Krissy would bring to my patient room each morning a stack of cards and letters from JLanders inquiring about my health and wishing both of us well.  At Hope Lodge, where Krissy lived while I was hospitalized, the staff would keep our abundance of mail at the lodge office and would jokingly ask her if we had a fan club.  The warmth and affection generously offered by JLanders played a large part in keeping my spirits lifted during the long year I spent in the hospital.  All of you have my most sincere gratitude.
 
I learned that JLanders represented the best that humanity had to offer.  Your interest in others continues today, not just for my wife and me, but also for other JLanders and people in general. 
 
Happy Fifth Anniversary, JLand!  Your mutual interest and support for each other makes JLand a uniquely welcoming place. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John, since I've been journaling, one of my biggest gifts is getting to know you & Krissy.  And being to uphold you in prayer as you went thru your transplant. You two, there in PA...are truly precious gems.  Linda in Washington state