Thursday 21 August 2008

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY NO. 5, J-LAND!

I was introduced to journaling through my then girlfriend, now wife, who has journaled for four of the five years that AOL has had journals.  My journal is The First Amendment, Not Politically Correct, which I started July 7, 2007.  I have been "hooked" ever since!  For years I had wanted some type of vehicle to express my thoughts and post information that isn't seen in the mainstream news media in the U.S.  I grew up listening to shortwave radio and noting the huge difference in the accounts of events between the BBC in London and the American press (the BBC has been regarded as long as I can remember as the most objective news source in the world).  This was very frustrating to me, and I only had limited means, mainly word-of-mouth, to pass along what I learned. Now, amazingly enough to me, the technology exists where I can post something and people not only in the U.S. can access it and comment on it, so can people in other parts of the world, in just a few minutes!! No, I don't take Internet technology for granted, and I don't take J-Land for granted either!

Even though I don't get to make entries in my journal and comment in other people's journals as often as I would like due to time constraints, my time here has been very enjoyable.  I have met some wonderful people here and had the opportunity to glimpse into their lives, through written word and photos.  AOL has its problems with alerts and other things, but looking at other services, I don't see the same atmosphere as I do here.  Maybe it's out there, and I just haven't run across it, I don't know.  I thoroughly enjoy J-Land, and even with its problems, they are minor when one considers what is literally at one's fingertips and the opportunities that are here.

I look forward to another five years here, and hoping to meet many new friends.

HAPPY FIVE YEAR ANNIVERSARY TO ALL!

Dirk

http://journals.aol.com/tsalagiman1/the-first-amendment-not-politi/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I will have to check out your blog too, cause I have always felt that when I watch a BBC tv news show I get more information than when I watch ours.  Be well,,Sandi

Anonymous said...

Hi Dirk.  I haven't been to your blog for awhile, so I am going to go recheck it out.  By the way, who is your wife, LOL?  I didn't know you had a wife in Jland!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I know you mostly through the eyes of your wife :-).  She seems pretty impressed, so we'll keep you. ~Mary